When I was a child, one of the things my parents gave me was a Betty Crocker Junior Cookbook, published in 1983. One of my favorite recipes from the book is this apple-nut coffee cake. It is moist, full of apple goodness, with a wonderful cinnamon sugar nut topping. It is a relatively simple recipe. The batter is very thick and requires spreading prior to adding the topping. I was unable to find this recipe in later versions of the Betty Crocker Junior Cookbooks and had to ask my parents (who apparently save everything) for my old copy of the book.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup shortening or butter
- 1 each egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 apple, large
- ½ cup dairy sour cream
- ¼ cup nuts
- ¼ cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Grease 9×9 pan with some shortening. In medium bowl stir together flour, baking powder, soda,
- In large mixing bowl use a wooden spoon to beat together regular sugar and the ¼ cup
shortening till fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla till well mixed.
- Peel apple with vegetable peeler. With adult help, remove core from apple and throw it away.
Chop the apple into ½ pieces
- Stir about half the flour mixture into the sugar mixture. Stir in the sour cream. Stir in the rest of
the flour mixture.
- Stir in the chopped apple. Spread evenly in greased pan, scraping bowl with rubber scraper.
- Put nuts into plastic bag. Close bag and crush nuts with the rolling pin. Empty bag into small bowl.
Use your hands to mix in brown sugar, butter, and cinnamon.
- Sprinkle over coffee cake. Put pan into oven.
- With adult help, turn oven to 350. Bake 25 to 30 min or till done. Turn off oven.
- With adult help, remove pan from oven. Cut into pieces and serve warm
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 192Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 29mgSodium: 129mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 1gSugar: 14gProtein: 2g